Thursday, August 19, 2010

Working Woman

Sorry for the lack of updates but I have been busy!! This week I started my job with the St. Bernard Project as a volunteer coordinator. Lots of training and building, since the organization is all about rebuilding houses. I spent yesterday and half of today and Tuesday cutting and hanging drywall in the very hot summer in Louisiana humidity. I think that tomorrow will be my first full day in the office and I almost feel like a real adult. I am so excited about my fellow Americorps State members that I am training with and the different jobs that we will have throughout the organization. There are site supervisors, a photographer, electricians, plumbers, and other office workers all coming together as young adults who want to learn and help out an amazing cause. It is really inspiring and great to get to know all of these very cool people.

Next weekend is the 5th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina and will be a very busy time for us. I am interested to see how the rest of the city reacts to the event, but might not have time to attend other events since we will be working on a 50 hour build!! Can't wait to be a part of it. We are also trying to raise funds to expand our free mental health services and provide jobs for those affected by the oil spill. You can vote every day from now until August 31st by going here. It is an amazing cause and worth your five seconds of logging in and clicking the "vote" button.

I haven't gone out much or explored the city in my free time, because I have been so tired. Transitioning to work is a big adjustment and I am sure once I get the hang of it I will be out at night. There are some really sweet people who we are so lucky are here to help us. The Church of the Bretheren hosts a "Taco Tuesday" dinner for all SBP staff. Free. Every week. Are these people angels or what? Delicious food for people who work hard but make very little money. I am seeing so much generosity from the people of New Orleans and am feeling really inspired by everyone.

I am moving into my new apartment in a little over a week and am so excited for that. My first place! I will be sad to say goodbye to my incredibly generous host family. Their sweetness, dogs, children with dramatic high school lunchtime stories, and fully stocked kitchen will most certainly be missed.

This post sucks, I'm sorry. But I am tired (duh) and only wanted to share my excitement with you all.

Lots of love <3

2 comments:

  1. gimme a free taco
    now i want a taco
    now im hungry
    cant wait to see pics of the new place! :)
    <3 Le(onard[o DiVinci Code])e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee's always hungry! He should go to NOLA and cook for Laura - she's working hard!

    Laura, not a sucky post at all - great to hear about what you're experiencing. You're my hero.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete