Friday, August 6, 2010

Welcome to Nawlins, Baby

My first two days here have been a blast. From the second I got into the cab Wednesday morning and met Rhonda, the sweet-as-sugar cab driver who drove me to the SBP offices, I knew this was the right place for me. She struck up a conversation and when she asked me what I was doing here and I told her, she thanked me and opened up about her experiences with Katrina. It still amazes me that the people I have come across and very willing to share their memories of such a horrific time. Rhonda was wonderful and a great introduction to the city!

At SBP I met the staff and got a feel for the relaxed but hard-working environment that I will soon be a part of. I learned that I will be a volunteer coordinator for colleges and high schools, so if you know of anyone in that group who wants to volunteer then send them my way!

After I left Chalmette I bought a map and drove around the city to get a feel of neighborhoods. I fell in love with Mid-City, obviously, but it is so far out of my price range. Cool cafes and restaurants, so close to the fairgrounds and city park, and my commute would be cut in half if I lived there instead of Uptown. I think my best bet is to keep checking Craigslist and hope that someone is renting a room in a house there. I met with a broker who was great but there isn't too much in my price range, so I think this is going to be more on my own.

My hosts, the Martinez family, put hospitality on a whole other level. They are so kind and generous and have really made me feel like a part of the family. Their oldest son took me to the Maple Leaf Bar last night and we heard some amazing music. Tonight we are going to explore Satchmo, the Louis Armstrong Jazz Festival that is on Frenchman's street this weekend. Last night was great, but he said that was nothing compared with what I will be hearing tonight!!

I decided that I will try everything here (except maybe pig's feet). I had crawfish which was delicious and am going to check out Guy's on Magazine, which supposedly has the best po boys in the city. What kind of an adventure would it be if I stayed in my comfort zone? I spent most of yesterday and the day before driving around, looking for "for rent" signs, and calling them up. Most places are looking for someone to move in September 1st, and I need something sooner then that, but what have I got to lose? I have tried everything....the JCC, Tulane, coffee shops in areas I like. Feel free to offer some apartment-hunting suggestions because I am open to anything!!

Bottom line, I am having a great time getting accustomed to my new home. The humidity is intense but not unbearable (apparently this is fairly cool for this time of year, so I might be changing my tune very quickly). I will feel so much better when I have a place of my own, but I am feeling so much love from the Martinezes that I really could not ask for a better situation.

Love,
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment